The late Mr. Takasaki, the founder of Toyo Seikan Kaisha Ltd., started Toyo Canning Vocational School in 1938 in order to train young students in canning technology. In 1961, the vocational school evolved into Toyo College of Food Technology for a further contribution to food science and technology. Toyo College this year celebrates the 70th anniversary since the foundation of Toyo Canning Vocational School. During the 70 years, the following words by Mr. Takasaki have been our motto.
“Food is vital for life, and those who work in the food processing industry must be a person of integrity.” Tatsunosuke Takasaki
Skills and knowledge is not the sole aim. We wish all students to cultivate heart and character in the college.
|1938||Toyo Canning Vocational School founded by the late Mr. Tatsunosuke Takasaki.|
|1961||Toyo College of Food Technology authorized by the Ministry of Education.|
|2005||Started offering the Associate Degree in Food Technology.|
|2007||Department of Food Packaging established with two courses, Food Processing Technology Course and Sealing Technology Course.
Toyo College of Food Technology accredited by Japan Association for College Accreditation.
|2008||The 70th anniversary of the college.
International student exchange program started.
Department of Food Packaging
Toyo College of Food Technology is the only place in Japan for learning technology and knowledge of food processing and packaging. We offer students a whole spectrum of food science and engineering: Food processing of meats, fishes, and fruits, and packaging techniques such as canning, plastic bottling, and retort-packaged food. Microbiology, hygiene, and quality control are also within scope of our educational program. We employ small group instruction system to achieve our educational goal, thereby offering best human resources to the food industry.
International Student Selection for the 2024 School Year
Department of Packaged Food Engineering
Highlights of studying with us
Students will acquire the practical knowledge and skills required for the packaged food industry. Through practical training, students will be able to learn about the steps in food processing, the sterilization process using retort sterilizers and UHT sterilizers, and sealing methods such as double seaming, heat sealing, and capping.
Number of students
A total of 35 students will be admitted from the following categories: school recommendations (designated schools/open recruitment system), general selection, recommendations by one’s place of employment, and international students.
- (1) Those who do not have Japanese nationality and can obtain or change their status of residence to “College Student” as defined in the “Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act” after enrollment. However, “Permanent Residents” as defined in the “Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act” or “Special Permanent Residents” as defined in the Special Immigration Control Law for Nationals of Peace Treaties cannot apply.
- (2) Those who have completed 12 years of school education in a foreign country (including those who are expected to complete by March 31, 2024). Or those who have been designated by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, or those who have obtained the International Baccalaureate, Abitur, Baccalaureate or GCE A-level qualifications.
- (1) Applicants must have taken the subjects (*) designated by the University in the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) organized by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) in the academic year 2023 or 2024.
*The subjects designated by the University in the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) shall be Japanese (Reading Comprehension, Listening Comprehension and Listening-Reading Comprehension), Mathematics (Course 1) and Science (Chemistry).
- (2) Applicants must have scored at least 200 points(*) in Japanese language subjects (reading comprehension, listening comprehension and listening-reading comprehension) on the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)
*or have passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) at the N2 level or higher.
- (3) Those who can reliably pay tuition, living expenses, etc. from the time of admission to the University until graduation.
- (1) Application form、Application Confirmation Form /Examination voucher
The applicant must fill out the form prescribed by the college and paste a photograph (4cm x 3cm) taken within 3 months of their application to it.
- (2) Personal Statement (resume)
Please fill out the form indicated by the college.
- (3) Medical Certificate
Please visit a medical institution within 3 months of your application and complete the form prescribed by the college or an equivalent form.
- (4) Personal reference form
The applicant and the guarantor are to fill out the form prescribed by the college.
- (5) Educational Background Certificate Please enclose a graduation certificate, or a copy of your diploma, as well as a transcript from the last school you attended.
- (6) Copy of EJU examination voucher
- (7) Residence card for those residing in Japan or a document that confirms identity for those residing outside Japan.
- (8) A copy of your passport
- (9) Return envelope Please write your name, address, and postal code clearly on the envelope and affix a postage stamp (registered mail/express mail/standard mail/25g or less). (For applicants residing outside of Japan, please contact the college office.)
Please submit the following documents in the application envelope designated by the college.
Please ask the school office for an application form, examination photo sheet/examination voucher, personal statement, health certificate, and personal reference form. (When you do so, you will also be informed of how to pay the examination fee.)
The application envelope and the envelope for returning the examination voucher are folded into the entrance examination guidelines.
The examination fee will not be refunded for any reason after the application documents have been received.
Review of application documents and examination vouchers
The college will review the submitted application documents and evaluate them to ensure that they are in proper order. If the documents are not received, all submitted documents will be returned and the examination fee will be refunded.
The examination voucher will be sent within three days of receiving the application documents.
In the event of any falsified information in the application documents, the acceptance may be revoked, even after the applicant has been admitted.
Admission Selection Process
Applicants will be comprehensively evaluated (including Japanese conversation skills) based on a document review and an interview.
Selection of International Students
Receipt of Application
January 15, 2024 (Monday)–January 29, 2024 (Monday)
(If sent by mail, applications must arrive no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 29, 2024). Applications are accepted at the school office are on weekdays (excluding holidays) from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Toyo College of Food Technology campus
Date of Examination
February 3, 2024 (Sat)
- (1) Registration: 8:40¬–9:10
- (2) Interview tests: starting at 9:30 (in order of examination number)
Be sure to bring your examination voucher, original copy of your passport, and writing implements.
February 9, 2024 (Fri)
The results will be posted at 10 a.m. on the campus bulletin board and on the college website.
(We will not respond to any inquiries by phone or e-mail.)
Accepted applicants will be sent a letter of acceptance and documents related to the admission procedure by letter pack.
Foods occupy an essential part of our life, and problems in food production directly threaten our life. That is why we think ethics, moral codes, advanced skills, and accurate knowledge in food production should spread across borders.
In this regard, we think it quite important for Toyo College of Food Technology to play a role in training international students from newly industrialized countries. It is also our great pleasure to advance scientific knowledge and technological skills through the international academic exchange.
Each year, we offer Short-term International Program. The program has two courses, one is Course for Students and the other one is Advanced Course per year.
Short-Term Training Course
Short-term program consists of lectures and practical training during a two week period. This program is given in English.
|Lecture||Participants will gain basic knowledge in food processing & sealing technology, which includes topics of food processing, sterilization, relation between foods and containers, double seaming, heat sealing, and plastic bottle capping.|
|Practice||Participants will gain practical skills in food processing & sealing technology such as pouched, cup and canned food processing, sterilization technology, quality evaluation of canned foods.|
Those who want to apply for the program should follow the link below to obtain the application form in Word. Please fill in the form and send it back to us by e-mail. The immigration process for foreigners to enter Japan might take a long time. Therefore, it is necessary to complete the application procedures in advance of the dead line.
|Quota||up to 10 participants|
|Tuition Fees||80,000 yen|
|Certificate||Certificate in Food Technology|
Note that the tuition fees include expenses for teaching materials and practice materials.
Pilot plant and Laboratories Food analytical chemistry lab: measurement and analysis of chemical processes in foods.
Primary food processing room: preparation of raw materials for food processing.
Secondary food processing room: food processing and packaging under highly hygienic condition.
Food packaging room for plastic containers: automated pouch-filling machine and cap sealing machine.
Can-seaming analysis lab: measurement and analysis of can seaming.
Can seamers: seaming practice with state-of-the-art can seamers.
Beverage can seamer: up to 1,800 cans can be seemed per minute.
Pouch filling machine: filling and sealing of pouch packed foods. Vapor vacuum sealing machine: capping of glass bottles for jam etc.
Retort sterilization machine for sterilization of canned and pouched foods under the high pressure and high temperature condition.